ADDMEFAST

mardi 22 février 2011

How do I make a compound sentence?

compound sentence

When you have two or more short, independent, simple sentences which are of equal weight you can join them together using special words called conjunctions.
e.g. 'I hate curry.' is a simple sentence.
'I like Thai food.' is also a simple sentence.
You can put these together to make one, longer and more interesting compound sentence using a conjunction -
'I hate curry' + but + 'I like Thai food' = 'I hate curry, but I like Thai food.'

* Junctions join two or more roads together, so we use conjunctions to join two or more short sentences together
* Commas are not conjunctions and they should never be used to join short sentences together (commas aren't sticky, so you can't use them to stick information together!).
* These are the most common conjunctions:

and, as, but, or, so

* Try to avoid using the same conjunction over and over again. It is much better to 'mix and match'.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire